Sunday, November 29, 2009

Jacob Matthew James Heuton

The plan was to give you all an event by event update from the hospital, I had it all planed out and it was going to be great! Well, let's just say things do not always go as planned! Things went fast and I was really not up to explaining what was going on.
Well, I am home, rested and have a few minutes to tell you all about it. I hope you enjoy.

(I have tried to finish this three Life has changed a little around here)

Nathan and I woke up bright and early Wednesday morning at 5am. We had everything packed and ready to go the night before, we just needed to shower get ready and be there by 6.
We arrived on time got all signed in and met our nurse Lisa. At this point I was feeling really nervous and was still questioning my decision (in my head not to anyone else). I knew at that point there was no turning back but was not looking forward to having Pitocin shortly enter my body, the first mention of the word and I had a mild anxiety attack. I am sure no one was aware of how I was feeling. I tried to just smile and be as positive as I could. I did not want to seem like I was crazy for asking to be induced and then act like a freak once it was happening.

I answered the million questions they ask and signed the twenty pages of needless paper work. Next was the IV. It did not go well. The first try she hit a nerve in my wrist that sent a crazy shock all the way into my thumb that felt like a firecracker went off in my thumb, now still four days later I have a crazy weird numb feeling all the way up my wrist into
my thumb. This is the point I was really feeling, "yep Cynthia, you're crazy, you should have just waited.. Is this a sign you should have waited???"

Well, the next try she got a vein but it was on the top of my left hand right under my knuckles. It was a horrible spot and bothered me a lot! Ok I know what you thinking people, jeez all that she has is an IV and she is acting like a baby. Lol Things got better from there. They hooked me up the monitors that measure the baby’s heart beat and the contractions; I was already having contractions with no Pitocin! I was so excited! They checked my cervix and I was already dilated to a four and 60% effaced. The Dr. said that she thinks I would have gone into labor any time but maybe this is the little push my body needed. At that moment I knew that I had made the right decision. I was confident that I would not be pushing things too much and that my body was truly ready to give birth. I relaxed took a deep breath and everything felt good.

They started me on Pitocin at 7:20am, a small amount that would slowly start contractions. The nurse said about a teaspoon an hour. It was working, my contractions were coming every two minutes but they did not hurt at all. At 8:30 the Dr. came in broke my water and the nurse upped the dose of pitocin and did so every hour. At about 10:30 I really started feeling the contractions and was having to breathe through them, it was not more than I could handle so I held off on any pain medicine and the epidural. Well, at about 11:00 I was ready for the fentanyl. It helped a lot and I went back to breathing through the contractions instead of almost crying. Well, at 11:45 I decided it was time for the epidural, the contractions were getting really bad and the fentanyl had started to wear off. I got my epidural by noon and I felt great! The nurse and Nathan both went and took a lunch break. I talked to Whitney on the phone for a little bit and got a little nap in.
By 12:45 the nurse came back in and checked me I was at a 7. I was excited! The Dr. came in a few minutes later and wanted to check me again but decided to wait a few minutes and go check on someone else. She was back in my room not even five minutes later saying that she was monitoring the baby's heart rate from the nurse station and was worried and wanted to put an internal monitor on his head. When she checked my cervix I was at an 8 almost 9! She tried to get the monitor on his head a couple times and was finally successful. I called Nathan and my Mom and let them know they need to get to the hospital ASAP. At this point it was 1:15 PM.

I really started to feel pressure and the contractions. The contractions were getting really bad because they left the Pitcoin on after the epidural. So after me being in tons of pain it occurred to them that the Pitocin had done its job and was not needed any longer. The epidural had worn off a little and I had not hit the button to release more drugs because to be honest, I forgot I could. By the time I pushed the button it was too late. I felt like I needed to push, I held off on pushing until my Mom got there. There was no way I was going to let my Mom miss the birth of Jacob. She would have been devastated! So I held out! Well, the moment she walked in I told them, "okay, I need to push, like now!" So they got the stirrups hooked up and said, go for it.
In all the times I have pushed, the epidural prevented me from really feeling what my body was doing, this time I could feel everything! It was nice to feel that what I was doing was helping make the baby move down and out. That is, until he was coming out, it hurt and it hurt bad! I do not think I have ever yelled out in pain quite like that before! I started pushing at 1:47 and Jacob was born at 1:50 I pushed for three minutes!

After all the nerves, anxiety and many other emotions I went through the last few weeks it went better than I could have asked for. Once that baby is in your arms every doubt you ever had melts away and is replaced by pure elation, love, and peace.

Jacob Matthew James Heuton was born at 1:50pm November 25, 2009 he weighed 7lbs 8oz and was 20.75 inches long. He has dark hair and his dad's lips. He is everything I could have ever dreamed of.

Shortly after the birth I went in to surgery to have my tubes tied. It went really well. We had a nice stay in the hospital till yesterday afternoon and have been resting at home since. Madison and Trinity were beyond excited to meet their little brother. They fell in love right away. The looks on their faces will never be forgotten. They held him, kissed him, talked to him and have been loving him since they walked in the door. They had a lot of sweet questions for both Nathan and I. It was fun answering them.

I can truly say that I feel like our family is complete. I am more blessed than I could have ever asked for. I am so thankful for all of you and your prayers through this entire pregnancy. Every time you took the time to think of us and pray for us it made a difference.

So there you have it. I made it to the end! Here are some pics of our sweet baby boy.



patti said...

I read through this again, with tears coming to my eyes, smiles, and a warm feeling of love for all of you. I'm thankful for little Jacob's life and for all that you and Nathan and the kids are doing for him to love him and nurture him. I'll be home soon and will come see him to hold him and to pour out my love and kisses on him, too. So glad you have such wonderful little blessing resulting from all that effort! Aren't babies precious!!

Tracie said...

Little jacob is so precious and beautiful!!! We are so happy for you guys and wish we could be there to meet him in person! I hope you are getting some rest... We love you! Mom will be back soon, I'm sure she is very anxious to get home and see you all!!!

Susanne said...

Wow, have I ever been behind on blogging!! Congrats on your new little one. He is so adorable! I hope mom and baby are doing well!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the informative information - I enjoyed reading it! I always enjoy this blog. :) Cheers,

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Thanks for counting

Visit attorney marketing web page.